set yourself up for success!
Please note, once you register for the theory exam date/location of your choice, this exam fee INCLUDES the fee for your Practical Exam. In order to complete your Practical Exam, you must contact the PRO TRAINER of your choice, and schedule a date/location with him or her. Practical Exam dates and locations are not listed online.
You are required to bring someone with you to role play the client profile given. Please ensure your guest is aware of the client profile and the role they are to play during your exam.
A reminder, canfitpro suggests you complete at least 20 hours of programming and one on one training before you attempt your Practical Exam. Please do not come see us for your exam if you haven’t already trained people. In order to pass, you must demonstrate confidence and experience in exercise design and one on one training skills. Experience cannot be read, nor can it be rushed. You have 6 months from the day of your theory exam to complete your practical exam. Take the time you need to get experience in training.
You will be provided with all information to prepare for your Practical Exam once you have completed your Theory Exam.
You will be provided (by email) all instructions, a client profile, a blank program card, a blank periodized program card to complete for the client profile and the exam itself and how it is marked. BRING A COPY OF EACH OF THESE TO THE EXAM WITH YOU AND CARRY EACH WITH YOU DURING THE EXAM.
Please review all information, especially how the exam is marked. The PRO TRAINER will be following this outline and providing marks as outlined.
You are to now design the fitness program using the card and periodized card provided, for the client profile you are given. Complete your periodized program first, for the appropriate length of time in order for your client to reach their goals. Then extract any 2 week time frame and design your program on the appropriate card for that two week time. An example can be found in your manual on page 261.
the practical exam
Your exam will not exceed 60 minutes.Please review each section and be prepared to demonstrate all that is asked for:
- Assessments - You are to complete a visual postural assessment, followed by one Dynamic Postural Assessment (Overhead Squat/Seated Spinal Twist/Straight Leg Raise).
- Warm up/Cardiovascular – Although the program you write for your client profile may indicate more time, during your exam you will only demonstrate 4-5 minutes of the warm up and Cardio session. Be prepared to teach/demonstrate the PFITT for each. You will be required to demonstrate your skills in taking a manual heart rate check during exercise.
- Resistance/Flexibility Training - Although the program you write for your client profile may indicate many exercises, during your exam your PRO TRAINER will ask you to perform 6 exercises. The exercises your PRO TRAINER can choose from are outlined on the exam marking form for you to see and prepare for. (Squat/Single Leg Variation/Deadlift or Hinge/Push/Pull/Plank) You must be familiar with the exercise asked for, along with variations for different fitness levels and an appropriate stretch for each exercise
- Program Design – Goal setting, correct use of periodization and FITT for each section
- Leadership/Session management – You will be marked on communication (tell/show/do), professionalism, enthusiasm and confidence to name a few. Remember, leadership means leading by example! Teach your client to wear indoor shoes in the gym, clean equipment after use and put all equipment away when done. Be sure to arrive to your exam on time, and finish on time.
Your PRO TRAINER will begin and end all exams on time. You will receive your practical exam mark immediately along with feedback on your strengths and areas to improve.
Ensure you have a copy of your valid (within 1 year) CPR to give to your PRO TRAINER. Once all information is complete, your PRO TRAINER will submit to canfitpro, and your Certificate will be issued within 2-4 weeks to you in your canfitpro Interactive page.
If you do not have current CPR training (within 1 year) at the time of your completed practical exam, your certification will not be issued until you send a copy of updated CPR to head office and request your file be updated, and your Certificate be issued.
In order to complete your Practical Exam, you must contact the PRO TRAINER of your choice, and schedule a date/location with him or her. Practical Exam dates and locations are not listed online.